2.22.2013

It's Fun Friday! - Indianapolis, Ind. edition

Sometimes, applying for jobs gets monotonous, so I've decided to spice things up. Fridays will now be called Fun Friday! Each Friday, I will focus on a theme for applying for jobs. I might focus on a certain industry, a specific location or job function, or something else that might pop in my head that day. Whatever inspires me.


Today, I shall focus on the city of Indianapolis. Why Indianapolis? When I think of this city, I think COLLEGE BASKETBALL! And it's almost March. And I'm a Spartan. Duh? :) We know what that means! But in addition to basketball, I've been thinking about Indianapolis as a potential place for me, my hubby, baby Emerson, Lybee, Emmet and Kizzo (dog, dog, kitty) to relocate to. Some perks to living in Indianapolis: big city feel, a half-day's driving distance from each of our parents' houses, still experience the four seasons, relatively low cost of living.

In fact, according to Salary.com's Cost of Living Wizard, if we decided to call Indianapolis home, we could expect to see a large positive net change in disposable income as a result of a lower cost of living (18.9 percent) and employers paying a higher salary (3.6 percent). I visited homes.com and was happy to see the housing options in our price range were plentiful. Score!


So what else about Indianapolis could interest us? By conducting a quick Google search, I found that the natives are quite friendly, schools are excellent and there's very good cultural diversity - perfect for raising Emerson! In addition, this city makes many lists of top cities for young professionals and young families. Specifically, it ranks fourth on Forbes.com's list of 20 cities with the happiest young professionals - that could save on some psychologist bills and self help books! Jordan and I are young professionals (30 is young, right!?), and we're a young family. Score again!

Indianapolis is home to some of the world's largest public companies too. Finish Line Inc. and Steak n Shake Co. call this city home. I'm pretty sure a trip to the Finish Line and then lunch at Steak n Shake (aka sports, tennis shoes, burgers and fries) might be a dream-come-true for my husband.

So there we have it. Indianapolis. A perfect potential home and future for me and my family. I'm packing my bags ... but first back to the job boards.

I feel the need to fully disclose that though I may call another city home in the near future, my heart always will belong to the Michigan State University Spartans, Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Pistons and yes, even the Detroit Lions. 



1 comment:

  1. Jenny Spyhalski2/25/13, 2:02 PM

    Way to step out of your comfort zone. So many people are afraid of big changes, moves especially! You will do great no matter where you live and I know you will always "bleed" green :)

    ReplyDelete